This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Read our full disclaimer here. Our opinions are not affected by affiliates and are our own.
What are the Best All-White Shoes for Nursing School and Nursing Students?
When it comes to nursing school, a lot of schools require you to have all-white shoes (and even all-white scrubs). So, today I’m going to be going over my favorite all-white picks for nursing students in school.
I’ve realized a lot of nursing schools, nursing students, and even hospitals require all-white shoes. While they look great, all-white anything can be extremely problematic to deal with.
Why? Well, because they can get very dirty very quickly. The good thing is a lot of shoes coming out now are either machine washable, waterproof or even both. Having a solid shoe can be the difference in misery at a nursing clinical, and a positive learning experience.
So, I tried to pick options that won’t get dirty easily, and are easy to deal with spills.
Also, don’t forget to read my full list of the Best White Nursing Shoes that goes in-conjunction with this article.
- Fabric: Performance mesh
- Rubber sole
- Perforated panels, Reflective accents throughout, Cushioned collar and super-soft insole, Engineered for the needs of multi-functional athletes and movement-based workouts, Ultra lightweight design
- Signature speed-lacing system
- HelionTM superfoam injected CloudTec sole
- THIS MEN’S SHOE IS FOR: The Ghost 13 is for runners looking for a reliable shoe that’s soft and smooth. The Ghost 13 offers improved transitions for zero distractions so you can focus more on what matters most: your run. This Brooks Ghost 13 is a certified PDAC A5500 Diabetic shoe and has been granted the APMA Seal of Acceptance.
- SUPPORT AND CUSHION: The neutral support type provides high energizing cushioning. Ideal for road running, cross training, the gym or wherever you might want to take them! Predecessor: Ghost 12
- BALANCED, SOFT CUSHIONING: BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT cushioning work together to provide a just-right softness underfoot without losing responsiveness and durability – yet it feels lighter than ever.
- SMOOTH, STABLE RIDE: No matter how your foot lands, our Segmented Crash Pad – an integrated system of shock absorbers – will cushion every step and stride for smooth heel-to-toe transitions.
- SOFT, SECURE, FIT: The newly engineered mesh and 3D Fit Print practically disappears on your foot with strategically placed stretch and structure.
- CROCS FOR EVERYONE: With a color and style for every personality, the Classic Clogs are the Crocs women and men need to start a comfort revolution around the world
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND FUN: The Crocs for men and women feature lightweight Iconic Crocs Comfort; Ventilation ports add breathability and help shed water and debris quickly and the massage pod footbed offers added comfort
- DESIGNED TO FIT: These slip on clogs are easy to take on and off, while being extremely durable; These Crocs even offer pivoting heel straps for a more secure fit
- Jibbitz for Crocs allow you to personalize your Crocs with style! Crocs shoes included!
- Authentic Crocs Jibbitz charms; Designed specficially by Crocs for Crocs!
- Make sure this fits. by entering your model number.
- Circular-knit upper is made with spandex for natural movement.
- Dynamic heel fit system supports from heel to ankle.
- Tri-star outsole pattern adapts to your step for flexible cushioning.
- Leather, Synthetic
- What to Look for in All-White Nursing Shoes?
- Why Do Nurses Wear White?
- Why Do Nursing Students Need White Shoes?
- What are the Best All-White Shoes for Nursing Students?
What to Look for in All-White Nursing Shoes?
- Waterproof: Having a solid waterproof shoes is incredibly important not only for standard nursing shoes, but especially for an all-white version.
- Comfort: Comfort is easily one of the top features to look for. If you are going to be on your feet all day, then you need a shoe that will support your arch, keep your foot structured and ease your gait.
- Style: While style might not be important to some, it can be an important part of your nursing gear. Going to work with a good style can help improve mental health while at work!
- Breath-ability: Having a shoe that breathes is important to keeping your feet cool and healthy while on a 12-hour shift!
- Washable: Having a washable or wipe-able shoe is vital for nurses or any healthcare professional. Being able to easily wipe fluids off your shoe with a purple wipe is very useful and sanitary.
- Protection: If you were in an area where you work with sharps, then protection is absolutely an essential for any nurse.
Why Do Nurses Wear White?
The history behind white shoes for nurses will probably go back further than you think. When Florence Nightingale originally founded her nursing school, a nursing student came up with the design for uniforms.
The uniforms were white. All-white scrubs were very common. They were designed to keep the public from associating dirt and germs with nurses. Typically white is a color associated with sterility. Although, white was a common “clean” color, nurses still wore black shoes. This is because most shoes were made from leather, and white leather was not common. However, when white leather came out, it was a hit among nurses.
Most hospitals today carry very different dress codes than back in the day. They typically use colors to code each different type of healthcare worker (ex. nurses wear black scrubs, doctors wear white scrubs and nursing aids wear green scrubs). However, this isn’t common practice for every hospital.
For example, the Cleveland Clinic, is a completely white scrub nursing hospital. So, nurses wear all white scrubs and white shoes. This is promote the sense of cleanliness, sterility and kindness that the original nurses sought to provide.
Why Do Nursing Students Need White Shoes?
Nursing students are typically required to wear white shoes for several reasons. One of the most common reasons is to make the school look presentable. Just how a hospital would want the nurses to present a “clean sterile look”, nursing schools also want similar representation.
Furthermore, nursing schools may require white shoes to match their unique uniforms. Most clinical locations will require traditional scrubs to be worn in conjunction with matching shoes. The hospitals will want nursing students and schools to uphold a professional clean projection.
What are the Best All-White Shoes for Nursing Students?
Nike Free RN Shoes
For nursing students, my favorite all-white option has got to be the all-white Nike Free Run shoes. They provide comfort, support and performance all for an affordable price.
While I already have a list of my favorite Nike shoes, the Free Runs are by far the most versatile. They use a very comfortable knit fabric design. And, provide a lot of heel and arch support for a comfortable gait.
In nursing school, these are my go-to pair of shoes every time. While they did end up getting dirtier than other shoes, they relatively easy to clean and are extremely reliable.
On Running Cloud Shoes
On Running has become quite the sensation recently, especially among the nursing and healthcare communities. I wrote a full guide on On Cloud Shoes for Nurses, however they are great.
Similar to the Nikes, On-Running provides an excellent well-balanced shoe that works great for nurses and students alike. Their all-white option is very clean aesthetically, and comes in a variety of other colorways.
They are a running oriented brand which translates well to nurses on their feet all day. Additionally, students can expect these shoes to last them throughout the entirety of nursing school, and maybe even into their career.
Hoka One One Shoes for Nurses (White)
In our opinion Hoka One One’s are some of the best shoes for nurses. Why? Hoka Shoes provide an exceptional amount of support, comfort and can easily keep you on your feet all day. As an OR nurse, I am constantly standing, and a lot of people in the OR wear these shoes. They give you the necessary tools to get your job done without straining your feet.
In addition, Hoka uses premium materials to help keep your feet cool (breathability), and even offers a variety of colors/styles to match your dress code policies (all-white or partially white).
All Birds for Nurses (White)
What makes AllBirds Shoes for Nurses one of the best choices? Well, we have a full review on AllBirds, but they are awesome shoes. The AllBirds Everyday Wool Runners, or even any of their actual “running” shoes, have awesome features for everyday nurses.
If you haven’t worn AllBirds before, we highly recommend them as a winter or cold-weather shoe. They work great for expelling snow and moisture walking into the hospital while keeping your feet toasty warm. You can also get a non-insulated version for warmer weather, or if your feet typically get cold at work anyways, the insulated ones work just fine!
Snibbs All-White Shoes for Nurses
We did a full Snibbs Shoes for Nurses Review, so if you want to read more, please check it out! For those who are just interested in the quick notes, check below.
- Awesome interior material
- Extremely good for standing in one place
- Soft, moldable sole foam
- Waterproof exterior
- Looks different than other shoes
- Exterior material feels great
BALA Shoes for Nurses (White)
We also wrote a full BALA Shoes for Nurses Review, and if you want to read more please check it out! If you don’t feel like reading the full review, that’s okay too, we put some pros down below!
- Comfortable slip-on
- Good color for wiping off
- Interior material feels awesome
- Great use of different materials for style and function